Dry skin is something that almost all of us will experience at some point in our lives. It can be worse in winter but can strike at any time, leaving skin looking and feeling tight, dull, lifeless, flaky, and sore.
What causes dry skin?
Dry skin is a distinct skin type (in the same way as we might think of skin as 'oily' or 'combination'), but all of us can experience dry skin at any time, even those with naturally oily skin.
Dry skin can affect the entire body but is likely to be worse on your hands and face because these are the areas that are likely to be exposed.
Dry skin can be caused and made worse by many different factors:
- The weather: cold temperatures and icy winds can dry the skin out and remove moisture.
- Age: as we become older, the skin's ability to retain moisture is diminished, naturally causing older skin to be dryer.
- Harsh cleansers: heavily scented or harsh soaps and shampoos can remove moisture from the skin. This is because they are designed to remove oil, which has the side effect of stripping the skin of essential moisture. That's why it's crucial to choose a dry skin cleanser that has been specifically formulated.
- Hard or soft water: if you live in an area with hard water, then you will be aware that this can cause your skin to dry out and make it more difficult for moisturisers to be absorbed.
How to look after dry skin
In addition to making sure that you drink plenty of water and eat healthily, it's essential to use a specially formulated dry skin cleanser that won't be too rough on the skin.
The SkinCeuticals Glycolic Renewal Cleanser contains powerful exfoliating ingredients, including a dual-acid blend of Salicylic and Glycolic acid. These serve to not only deep cleanse the skin of impurities and make-up, but they also clear the complexion to leave skin looking brighter and more radiant. What's more, it does this without removing moisture from the skin, so it feels healthy and hydrated.
The Glycolic Renewal Cleanser is gentle enough to be used twice a day, in the morning and before bed. It is powerful enough to prevent breakouts and leave your skin feeling fresh. Little wonder that our lovely customers have given it an average review score of 4.74 out of 5.
Using Glycolic Renewal Cleanser
As with all SkinCeuticals products, the Glycolic Renewal cleanser for dry skin fits very easily into your regular daily skincare routine.
- Wet your face and neck.
- Dispense a small amount (around the size of a 5p piece) of the cleanser onto your fingertips.
- Gently rub the cleanser into your skin using a soft, circular motion. Work outwards from your T-zone and nose to make sure that you cover your entire face.
- Rinse your skin and pat dry.
- Follow your regular skincare routine. Don't forget to moisturise and use sun protection to help your skin look and feel its best.
Please explore the Flawless Body website to view the entire SkinCeuticals range of dry skincare products.